FLORIDA EAST COAST (FEC) #422
The GP40-2 was EMD’s follow-up to the very successful GP40 locomotive model. While many internal upgrades were introduced (such as the use of improved, modular Dash 2 electrical components), there were some external differences between the early production GP40-2 and late-production GP40. This included an engine water-level sight glass on the right side of the body (a feature common to all EMD Dash 2 models), a larger electrical cabinet air filter box, a lengthened battery compartment on the left side, and a slightly modified cab.
All GP40-2s featured a 16-cylinder EMD 645-series diesel engine which was rated at 3,000 horsepower. Early to mid-production phase 2 GP40-2s were built from mid-1976 through late-1979. Several major spotting features of Phase 2 units include: an 88” low nose, corrugated radiator grilles and notched step wells.
- Golden-white LEDs
- Realistic die-cast underframe
- Five-pole skewed armature motor with dual flywheels for optimum performance at all speeds
- Directional lighting
- Factory-equipped with AccuMate® knuckle couplers
- Detailed cab interior with crew
- Separately-installed scale windshield wipers, metal grab irons and fine scale handrails
- Movable drop steps
- Walkway safety tread
- Coupler cut bars
- Multiple unit hoses and trainline hoses
Additional features include:
- Etched metal radiator and dynamic brake fans (included where appropriate per road name).
- Dynamic Brake options: standard range, extended range or non-dynamic brake hatch used where appropriate per road name.
- 3,600 gallon fuel tank.
DCC Operation Features:
- Supports all DCC-programming modes
- Flexible mapping of function keys F0 to F28.
- A total of six DCC function outputs are available
- Follows all NMRA DCC standards and recommended practices.
Analog (DC) Operation Features:
- The LokSound Select Dual-Mode decoder allows your Atlas Gold Series locomotive to be used on DC as well as on DCC layouts.
- Please note that the Atlas Quantum Engineer will NOT operate an Atlas Gold Series locomotive equipped with a LokSound Select decoder on an analog (DC) layout. However, the sound and lighting functions of the LokSound Select decoder in the Atlas Gold Series GP40-2 locomotive can be controlled by an easy-to-use basic DCC system
- Also note that on a DC-powered layout, a DCC and sound equipped locomotive (such as the Atlas Gold Series GP40-2) CANNOT be consisted with another locomotive that does not
also have both DCC and sound. (This statement does NOT apply to DCC-equipped locomotives operating on a DCC layout.)
Sound Functionality Features:
- Over 20 sound effects are available, including engine start-up and shutdown, prime mover sounds through all eight notches, bell, air horn, air compressor, dynamic brakes and more.
- There are 16 user-selectable horns, 2 user-selectable bells, and 2 user-selectable synchronized brake squeals.
- Manual and Automatic Notching modes with the ability to change modes ”on the fly” are provided for true realism.